Forums

Forum Home > Sanga Composites > Mashona X Angus calving

John Haymaker

My Angus heifers are currently calving to Mashona bulls. the prodginy looks promissing for now.

--

June 3, 2016 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Haymaker

just an update. the Angus heifers that calved to the Mashona bulls all worked out great. i am really impressed with the vigor and heat and parasite resistance the Mashona handed to my cows. i was thinking that my birth weight would suffer some because of the Mashona bulls but to my surprise the calves are averaging the same as the Angus calves.

--

August 21, 2016 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WalnutCrest

Your birth weight would suffer ... or the weaning weight would suffer?  Which one were you concerned about?  I think I may have misunderstood your anticipated concern ...

August 21, 2016 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Haymaker

sorry for the confusion. what i meant to say was that i thought the calves would be smaller and llighter than the angus calves and would always be behind the curve when comared to Angus calves. that has not been my experience. the birthweight of the Mashona X Angus was the same on average as the Angus calves.

--

August 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WalnutCrest

That is surprising.  We had only the one Aubrac / Mashona F1 ... and she was pretty easily 10% smaller at birth than the rest of our fullblood Aubracs.

August 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WalnutCrest

We just had two more F1s (Aubrac sired, Mashona dams) and both were around 10% smaller than our FB Aubracs.

I'd love to hear any more updates on your composite Aubrac / Mashona / Angus program.  Thanks.

November 20, 2016 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Haymaker

MashonaXAngus heifer calved to Angus bull. her stats are as follows. she stayed in the pasture with her dam in the pasture and received no extra input than that of the cows. she self weaned bred and delivered her first calf at 20 months. calf is 3/4 Angus birth weight was 74 lbs. i beleive she is mature at 900 lbs and the calf is growing nicely in same pasture with heifer and cows. i expect the rest of her contemporary group will do the same.

--

May 31, 2017 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Haymaker

WalnutCrest at November 20, 2016 at 6:11 PM

We just had two more F1s (Aubrac sired, Mashona dams) and both were around 10% smaller than our FB Aubracs.

I'd love to hear any more updates on your composite Aubrac / Mashona / Angus program.  Thanks.

I have yet to mix the Aubrac,Mashona,Angus. i at this time have Aubrac x Angus and Mashona X Angus and will in the near future begin to breed the two cross groups with each other.

--

May 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.