Forums

Forum Home > Why Sanga Cattle? > Starting a Mashona assciation

Ace Mershon

I am trying to contact people who breed Mashona cattle here in the USA.  I would like to form an organization.  My primary goal is to get us all in touch with each other.  I have spoke with Darren in KS and Ron in MO and have quite a few more names to contact. 

If you are interested in such an organization please contact me either here on this website or email me at mershonfarmsATgmailDOTcom.  I think you know how to read that (I don't need extra spam).  Please do not post anyone's contact information on the forum at this point since some people may not want their contact information posted.  Instead  please post the name and what state they live in on the forum for privacy.

Andy, your input and support would be appreciated!  

Thank You

Martin 'Ace' Mershon

Alix AR USA

--
March 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ace Mershon

It was suggested that we should start an organization for all Sanga cattle here in the US.  I am open to the organization being for all Sanga cattle or just Mashona in the USA.  I just want us all to be in touch with each other.  Thx-Ace

March 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Hope
Site Owner

Have you contacted Weaver Ranch to see who might have bought Mashona from them before the herd was sold?  Jaime is the other obvious contact, let me know if I can help in any way.

Andy

--

Sanga cattle, bridging the genetic gap between Bos Taurus and Bos Indicus breeds.

March 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tarron Null

I only have a Mashona bull at this point but i'd be interested in joining. 

April 1, 2016 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ace Mershon

Please contact me at the email address above.  I will get on the list.  Thx-Ace

April 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Hope
Site Owner
How is the planning for an American Sanga or Mashona website progressing? Let me know if I can help in any way.
--

Sanga cattle, bridging the genetic gap between Bos Taurus and Bos Indicus breeds.

August 23, 2016 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ace Mershon

I raise crops in addition to cattle and I have been very busy over the summer.  I will start working on the mashona/sanga stuff again when harvest is completed (hopefully this month).  I am a mid sized rancher/farmer.  All my equipment is old and it seems like I am a full time mechanic to be a part time farmer...

Currently my goal is to get all of us in contact with each other.   I think this website (yours?) is great and would complement our association.  

Thank You

Martin 'Ace' Mershon

Mershon Farms/Heart Bar Ranch

Alix AR USA

October 9, 2016 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WalnutCrest

I'm thinking that if there is a Sanga Association, that clear pedigrees exist for each breed that is Sanga, so that in the event that size and growth dictate a splitting out of one of the Sanga breeds into a standalone breed registry, that it would be relatively easy to make that happen.

So, maybe the rules for registering cattle of any breed are the same, and there is some sort of lettering rules to identify each breed's representation within a single registry ... maybe something like this:

100% fullblood Tuli would have a registration number that would include the following identifier as to breed composition "FBS100TU100TU" (fullblood Sanga, fullblood Tuli bred to fullblood Tuli)

50% Tuli / Mashona would have a registration number that would include the following identifier "FBS100MA100TU" (fullblood Sanga, fullblood Tuli bred to fullblood Mashona)

50% Mashona / Commercial Cow would have a registration number that would include the following identifier "CBS100MA000CO" (crossbred Sanga, fullblood Mashona bred to 0% Sanga commerical cow)

Then, say, that down the road, we have a bull that's (picking something random and clunky since Beefalo are, by definition 3/8 bison and 5/8 anything else) 50% Mashona, 25% registered Beefalo and 25% commercial angus ... and that bull is bred to a cow that is 1/4 Tuli and 3/4 registered red angus ... then, the identifier for that calf would be "CBS050MA025TU" designating only the Sanga components of the pedigree in the registry.

Then, in addition to that 13 character identifer, each farm would have a 2-4 letter herd prefix ... and ... a 4-6 number/letter animal identifer ... so, when Ace has a 15/16th's Mashona bull breed a commercial angus cow and that calf is born in 2017, his calf would be able to be registered as follows:  "ACES CBS094MA000CO 00001E" (or similar).

Lastly, I think that each animals' percentage of Sanga blood follows them.  There is a breed up program, but an animal has to have at least 90% Sanga blood to be a 'purebred sanga' ... and ... it has to have at least 90% blood from any breed to be a 'purebred Tuli' (for example).  There should be nothing of calling a 1/516ths bull or a 7/8ths cow to be equivalent of a 100% fullblood in terms of breeding up other cattle to achieve purebred status.

Thoughts?

October 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Hope
Site Owner

We need to get started on this project this year, how many people are available to get the association up and running?

--

March 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WalnutCrest

Anything new on this?

Each year that goes by and nothing gets done ... the lower the odds that anything will ever get done.

--
August 7, 2017 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.